Friday, August 7, 2009

The Passing of the Guard.




2009 has been hard on died-in-the-wool Braves fans. First, the travesty of not resigning John Smoltz, to the releasing Tom Glavine and now, watching from afar as John Smoltz is designated for assignment in Boston (aka, released). Two of the most amazing hurlers in history, who are still trying to show they can pitch on the Major League level because their competitive spirit tells them they can but their arm shows them they can't, are riding off into the sunset to join yet another former Brave, Greg Maddux, to eventually also have their number retired and their day in the sun in Cooperstown.




It's really sad to realize, but at some point in time in every young man's life who plays the great game of baseball, eventually they come and take the ball away. In other words, it's time for someone else. For many, it's after High School. For others, College. For myself, after struggling for years in the minors. But it will eventually happen to everyone. From Babe Ruth to Barry Bonds, and now, John Smoltz and Tom Glavine. Calendars continue to turn and fresh arms and legs replace (in this case) legends.




It has been a joy to watch those two work over the years, and I feel lucky to have seen them in their prime. Dane (my 5 year old son) even got a chance to meet Tom Glavine last year in the Braves dugout during Pre-game one Saturday afternoon, and Tom was such a great guy to Dane and treated my son wonderfully. And for me, that's the memory I'll always carry with me of Tom Glavine. Not his World Series Winning effort in Game Six of '95 (although I could never forget that), but the way he made my son smile hanging around with him on the bench. Now if Dane and I could only be so lucky as to meet John Smoltz in the future as well. From what I hear, he's just as much a Hall of Famer off the field than he is on! Congrats John and Tom, on a terrific career, and thanks again for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment