Sunday, August 23, 2009

Little League Elbow.

It amazes me that more can't be done in limiting the amount of curve balls young men throw in Little League All-Star Competition! Basically, if you can throw curve balls for strikes, you have a ticket to go far in All-Star competition. However, you also guarantee yourself limited velocity in the future and first hand knowledge of who Tommy John was and why his surgery has become so prevalent.

Did you know Rick Knapp, pitching coach of the Detroit Tigers, does not even let his pitchers throw curves for three weeks once they report to camp in February? And that all great pitching coaches will tell you it is better to learn how to "spot up" your fastball and throw a change-up for strikes before learning Uncle Charley and his deceptive ways. But time and time again, as I watch the Little League World Series, I see one young man after another in the process of ruining their arms.

The rule used to be "don't throw a curve until you are a teenager." I think the rule should actually be "don't throw a curve until you can shave." (the reason I say that is I've seen teenagers who don't need to shave!!! I should know, I used to look at one in the mirror!) Ultimately, if you wait until you can shave, you are more advanced physically and you are further along in your development as a young man (puberty) and can handle the workload a curveball demands of your arm.

Dr. Andrews addressed the major problems with pitch counts in Little League back in 2007. (the whole presentation can be found at www.littleleague.org/learnmore/rules.) And now that Little League has learned to abide by those rules, I recommend Dr. Andrews take it one step further and limited the number of curves a young man below the Little League Age Limit can throw! In my opinion, deciding quality rather than quantity should be without a doubt, the next step in youth pitching development!

No comments:

Post a Comment