Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Hall of Famer Returns.

The Voice who described such October Miracles as Kirk's Drive into the Night, the Ball Through Buckner's Legs, and Larsen's Perfect Game is returning to the microphone in Los Angeles.

On Tuesday, the Dodgers announced that 82-year-old Broadcasting Legend Vin Scully will return to the booth next year to begin his 61st season with the club.  With a voice that paints a masterpiece with each passing inning I, for one, am so glad he decided to continue in the Broadcast Booth.

When I was playing in the Cal League in '96, occasionally fans would have the Dodger games on the radio while we were playing.  (The reason I could hear it...Because I was sitting in the Pen!)  One night, I heard Vin describe a play at the plate.  His voice never rose in excitement.  It never became shrill as the runner raced to the plate and he casually told us (who were sitting hours away from Chavez Ravine) that "the runner was out from you to me."  A smile eased across my face as I could picture the image in my head.  An image created by one of the best (if not, the best).  An image created by the ebb and flow of a performing artist singing a song about the summer game I love so much.

Welcome back, Vin.  Here's wishing you many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment