Thursday, July 2, 2009

Don't Ever Give Up!

The other night, I got a phone call from one of my students. He had just participated in the first of two games after being named to the Top 100 Underclassman by the Georgia Dugout Club, and unfortunately, to put it in his words, he had done "awful", "embarassed himself" and "wasn't going back." Now how many times do we all feel like that? I know there are times in life when I do.

My student had struck out twice, and popped up on the infield in three at-bats. He also committed the cardinal error of not hustling down to first on the popup, due to his digust with himself (something College Coaches will write you off quickly for). He also played briefly in the outfield, but luckily, with the night he was having, no one hit a ball to him.

After listening, I asked him, "Ok. So how were they pitching you?" He said "inside." And my reply was "Perfect. Now you know what to look for." So many times in life, we get lost in the moment, and we have trouble stepping back and seeing what we can learn from the situation. I also told him, "Remember, if a hitter strikes out four times, but hits a home run to win the game in his final at-bat, what does everyone remember?" Of course, the home run.

Finally, to reenforced my thoughts with him and said, "Now remember, if you don't go back, it says volumes about you. And if you do go back, it also speaks volumes about you in another way." Luckily for him (and me), he went back the next day, and played a much better game.

No comments:

Post a Comment