Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What Not To Say!!!

I'm watching the Braves game tonight and the first base coach for the Pirates, Perry Hill, got to take an early shower due to something he said. Reminds me of a funny story. The very first game my oldest son, Dane, ever got to see me coach...I got tossed!!! Long story short, there was a pickoff play at second in which the ball got away and rolled into center. My baserunner jumped up and got interfered with by the shortstop as he started to run to third. The umpire did the correct thing in immediately calling "Interference!" and then he did something I did not quite agree with. He said, "The runner gets second."
Now, I called time, like a nice guy, and proceeded to make my way to second to explain to this older gentlemen how entirely wrong he was. Unfortunately for me, it turns out the umpire was right! After I got an early exit from the game, turns out the ruling was correct. The rule book reads that on such a play, the umpire awards the base that he feels the runner would have been safe at. The ump told me he awarded second to my runner (of which he already had) due to the fact, he felt my runner would have been thrown out at third. And long story short, I told him that he was full of something else that I'm sure you can figure out! (LOL)
Needless to say, the ump didn't change his call. I got thrown out at my son's very first game watching Daddy coach, and Jack Leggett, Head Coach for the Clemson Tigers, who was at the game recruiting my shortstop, also told me later, he would have gotten tossed over that call too!!! I guess it's true what they say. We're always learning something new in this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment