Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Royal Beauty!




Today, when I landed in K.C., I decided to catch the Cincinnati Reds/Kansas City Royals Sunday afternoon matinee. Growing up as a baseball nut, I used to wear my George Brett White "#5" cleats with pride (as did everyone else my age in Little League). I remember him charging out of the dugout during the Pine Tar game. I remember him swaying back in the box, and ripping line drives. I remember him playing the game the right way. And I remember the Royals being winners.


Needless to say when I walked in today, I saw a photograph of him kissing home plate after a game at Kaufmann Stadium (the Royals home), and I knew I was in a special place. I have always heard that Kaufmann Stadium is one of the most beautiful stadiums in baseball, and the new "K" (it has been renovated this season) did not disappoint me. From the water fountains in the outfield, to the statue of ole' Georgie boy loading up (see my pics), this stadium is an absolute gem. And if you look real carefully down the left field line, you can't help but notice the flag reads "World Champions 1985".


Twenty-four years ago...Where in the world does it go? It only seems like yesterday George Brett and Bret Saberhagen were hugging and celebrating their miraculous upset of the St. Louis Cardinals in the I-70 Series (that's what it was called). But that flag doesn't stand alone. Others include American League Champs, 1980. Divisional Champs 1976,1977, 1978. 1984. Memories of Whitey, the Quiz, Smooth, and the turf. Unquestionably, a very rich tradition of winning from a long, long time ago. One of which I hope will soon be revived by another group of talented home-grown young stars (Billy Butler, Mark Teahen, Mike Jacobs, Zake Grinke, and others) who are trying in their own way to revive '85 in what is in my opinion, a stadium worthy of a champion.




No comments:

Post a Comment