Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Food for Thought...

Last week, a very good friend of mine, Chuck Franzago, forwarded me this article to review,   (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/DeathToTheInvertedW.html),  and after reading the article, I think there could be something to this.


In studying (and teaching) fundamentals, you could not produce a more perfect prototypical pitcher than Mark Prior.  Unfortunately though, Mark has had nothing but arm injuries since becoming a professional.  His one bright shining season of '03 has been overshadowed with one injury after another and a career that never lived up to expectations.  But again, with fundamentals a smooth as silk, a million dollar arm, the makeup of a champion, and the label of a "can't miss" prospect, how could this happen?

Perhaps it is the Inverted "W" position of his arm action...I don't know.  But I do know if I had a young son who was learning to pitch, I would pay special attention to this. 

Let me know your thoughts. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment