Friday, October 23, 2009

Bob Chandler.

I just found out that an old friend of mine passed away this week.  Bob Chandler was 73 years young on Tuesday when God decided He needed him more in Heaven than we did here on Earth.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the funeral, but I'm sure it will a worthy rememberance of this wonderful man.  A moment in time where his family, his friends, and his lovely wife, Tookie, of 51 years can pause and reflect on all the goodwill, laughter, and positive energy this wonderful man created in his short time here with us. 

I wish I could be there to say thanks for the memories.

You see, way back in 1994, I was playing for the Erie Sailors and Bob Chandler threw out the first pitch one night.  As I caught the pitch and jogged out to the mound to give him the ball, he shook my hand and told me "You're going to hit a Home Run for me tonight!"  Modestly, I laughed, and replied, "Well, that would be great, but I wouldn't bet on it."  At that point in my career, I still did not have a Professional Home Run to my name, and I didn't see any reason for that to change on that particular night.  But again, this older gentlemen patted me on the back as we walked off the field towards the dugout and said, "Trust me.  Tonight, you are going to hit a Home Run for me tonight!  Just watch and see."  Needless to say, later that night, I hit my first Professional Home Run.  I still have the ball to prove it.

Some people in life have the ability to inspire, lead, and "get more" out of others.  Bob Chandler was that type of fellow.  He always saw the glass as half-full, and it usually was, because he was the one who had poured the water in.  He would have made a terrific Coach, but God saw fit to put him in a suit and tie rather than spikes, where when I met him, he worked tirelessly for the Erie Chamber of Commerce, always the promoter of the city he loved so dear.

I will miss Bob; his smile, his laughter, and his presence.  And I know many others who will too.

Thanks again for the memories.   



 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment